ColumnThese are food quotes that remind you why you love eating and cooking.
I have a few food quotes I always come back to. Words that remind me of why I love to make and eat food. Why I love to sharing food with others. We all have to eat; food is the building block of humanity.
If you need a little inspiration for cooking and sharing, this is it. Print them all out, hang them on the kitchen wall, and keep fighting the good food fight!
1. “Food is an important part of a balanced diet.” – Frank Lebowitz
2. “This evidence is overwhelming at this point. You eat more plants, you eat less other stuff, you live longer.” – Mark Bittman
3. “If you really want to make a friend, go to someone’s house and eat with him… the people who give you their food give you their heart.” – Cesar Chavez
4. “You don’t have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces — just good food from fresh ingredients.” – Julia Child
5. “If organic farming is the natural way, shouldn’t organic produce just be called “produce” and make the pesticide-laden stuff take the burden of an adjective?” – Ymber Delecto
6. “We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink.” – Epicurus
7. “If you bake bread with indifference, you bake a bitter bread that feeds but half man’s hunger.” – Kahlil Gibran
8. “Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.” – Voltaire
9. “One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.” -Virginia Woolf
10. “What is patriotism but the love of the food one ate as a child?” – Lin Yutang
11. “The gentle art of gastronomy is a friendly one. It hurdles the language barrier, makes friends among civilized people, and warms the heart.” – Samuel Chamberlain
12. “Laughter is brightest in the place where food is.” – Irish Proverb
13. “Let things taste the way they are.” – Alice Waters
14. “This magical, marvelous food on our plate, this sustenance we absorb, has a story to tell. It has a journey. It leaves a footprint. It leaves a legacy. To eat with reckless abandon, without conscience, without knowledge; folks, this ain’t normal.” – Joel Salatin
15. ““The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison.” – Ann Wigmore
Related on EcoSalon
This is the latest installment of Anna Brones’ weekly column at EcoSalon: Foodie Underground, an exploration of what’s new and different in the underground movement, and how we make the topic of good food more accessible to everyone. More musings on the topic can be found at www.foodieunderground.com.
Image: Anna Brones