Sometimes adulting is the last thing you feel like doing. You aren’t the only one, though. No matter your age, everyone needs a day off from being responsible, grown up, and in-charge.
The key to adulting is to be proactive, as much as possible, instead of reactive. That way you can set things up, so you can take the odd day off and do whatever the heck you want (the ultimate adulting move!).
15 Ways to Make Adulting Seem Like a Snap
1. Open a Second Bank Account – Saving for a rainy day (or when the roof starts leaking) is key to being a responsible adult. Make saving easier for yourself by setting up automatic deposits in a separate long-term savings account.
2. Learn How to Make Cocktails – While there’s nothing wrong with wine out of a box, discover how to mix up cocktails for your next special get-together.
3. Perfect Several Recipes – By the same token, you don’t have to cook every night, but do learn how to perfect a handful of recipes that you can whip out to impress.
4. Be Like MacGyver – The motto of anyone who is crushing, is always be prepared. While you can’t plan for everything, planning makes most things go more smoothly.
5. Invest in and Take Care of Your Cast Iron – Not only is cast iron better than other types of cooking vessels, but it’s durable and will last you a lifetime.
6. Buy in Bulk – Buying in bulk can be a more economical, efficient, and environmentally-friendly choice. But don’t go crazy and end up with rancid grains or so much Beef-a-reeno you’ve got a farting horse.
7. Expand Personal Growth with a Journal – Journaling can be a fantastic tool to help you grow and learn how to be a healthier, happier, and more mature you.
8. Stop Wasting Money on Stuff You Don’t Need – Make a commitment to create and follow a budget to curb wasteful spending. Not only can it help you save money, but having less stuff to manage can save you time and energy.
9. Learn to Sew/Visit the Tailor – Life is too short to live in clothes that don’t fit well. Take your clothing items to the tailor, or learn to sew and DIY.
10. Invest in Good Quality Items – Choose to buy less, but don’t sacrifice quality. Those who adult well know that spending a little bit more can often be the better choice.
11. Listen/Read at Least One Book a Month – We get it, you are busy. We all are, but being a well-rounded and knowledgeable person is important. It also makes you more interesting to talk to at parties and can leave you feeling less stressed.
12. Visit a Financial Advisor – Don’t know how to save or what do once you have saved some money? Don’t worry, most of us don’t.
13. Learn How to Deal with Conflict – One of the best things you can do for yourself and others is learn how to deal confidently with conflict.
14. Start Your Day with Purpose – Realize the power and clarity of starting each day with purpose and intention. Don’t live your life as someone who is reactive, but instead be proactive.
15. Spontaneity – Recognize that adulting does not mean you must sacrifice spontaneity. Sometimes life calls for being spontaneous. Lean into it.
Related on EcoSalon