Body image quotes from the women who know best.
If there’s one thing celebs know, it’s dealing with incessant criticism. With the 24/7 buzz these ladies receive, consider them the grand poobahs of dealing with—and dare we say conquering—body image issues.
Below, 17 refreshing body image quotes to bookmark for a rainy day (in front of the mirror):
- “I personally battled with my own body image for years. I used to tell myself, ‘You can’t wear anything sleeveless or strapless.’ And all of a sudden I was like, ‘What if I just didn’t send such negative messages to my brain and said, wear it and enjoy it?’ And now I’m more comfortable in clothes than ever.” -Drew Barrymore
- “Instead of looking in the mirror and focusing on your flaws, look in the mirror and appreciate your best features. Everyone has them.” -Demi Lovato
- “For young women, I would say, don’t worry so much about your weight. Girls spend way too much time thinking about that, and there are better things. For young men, and women too, what makes you different or weird, that’s your strength. Everyone tries to look a cookie-cutter kind of way, and actually the people who look different are the ones who get picked up. I used to hate my nose. Now, I don’t.” -Meryl Streep
- “There’s a whole list of things I would probably change about myself. For example, I’m always trying to lose fifteen pounds. But I never need to be skinny. I don’t want to be skinny. I’m constantly in a state of self-improvement, but I don’t beat myself up over it.” -Mindy Kaling
- “I keep telling myself that I’m a human being, an imperfect human being who’s not made to look like a doll, and that who I am as a person is more important than whether at that moment I have a nice figure.” -Emma Watson
- “I am not a sample size, and I’m okay with that.” -Jordin Sparks
- “You’re a human being, you live once, and life is wonderful, so eat the damn red velvet cupcake.” -Emma Stone
- “My fears came true: People called me fat and hideous, and I lived. And now I keep living.” -Lena Dunham
- “Even I don’t wake up looking like Cindy Crawford.” -Cindy Crawford
- “I’ve never had a problem with the way I look. I’d rather go for lunch with my friends than go to a gym.” -Adele
- “If anybody even tries to whisper the word ‘diet,’ I’m like, ‘You can go fuck yourself.'” -Jennifer Lawrence
- “To all girls with butts, boobs, hips and a waist, put on a bikini—put it on and stay strong.” -Jennifer Love Hewitt
- “I think that whatever size or shape body you have, it’s important to embrace it and get down! The female body is something that’s so beautiful. I wish women would be proud of their bodies and not dis other women for being proud of theirs!” -Christina Aguilera
- “You have to stand up and say, ‘There’s nothing wrong with me or my shape or who I am; you’re the one with the problem!'” -Jennifer Lopez
- “I tried being anorexic for four hours… then I was like, ‘I need some bagels.'” -Kat Dennings
- “People often say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I say the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing you are the beholder.” -Salma Hayek
- “Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.” -Marilyn Monroe
What are your favorite body image quotes?
Related on EcoSalon
Mirror image via Shutterstock