Get your hands on some flax seeds immediately.
Flax seeds might seem a little boring, but their uses really are endless. They’re rich in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, making them the wunderkind of the health food world, helpful for digestion, and even linked to lower cholesterol levels.
Most people tend to recommend ground flax seeds over whole, as they’re easier for your body to digest. As long as you have a coffee grinder, you can grind flax seeds. Otherwise you can also buy flax seed meal, which is pre-ground.
Looking to get more flax seeds into your diet? Here are 21 different ways to use them, from muffin recipes to flax seed tortillas.
1. Add a tablespoon to your oatmeal or other favorite hot cereal.
2. Add into a salad dressing.
3. Use as a replacement for egg, by mixing 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds and 3 tablespoons of warm water. Let sit for 15 minutes to congeal, then use as an egg replacement in baking recipes.
4. Mix ground flax seeds into yogurt with a little honey.
5. Make a batch (or two) of gluten-free muffins.
6. Add ground flax seeds to smoothies.
7. Combine with chickpeas and oatmeal to make vegetarian burger patties.
8. Make crackers.
9. Plan a brunch and serve flaxseed pancakes.
10. Whip together a batch of no-bake energy bites.
11. Toast flax seeds and add them to a salad.
12. Bake a flax seed pumpkin bread.
13. Make zucchini muffins.
14. Make a pesto with flax seed oil.
15. Bake a batch of oatmeal raisin flax cookies.
16. Skip tortillas and use flax seed tortilla wraps for your next burrito.
17. Round up seeds and make a pumpkin, sunflower and flax seed butter.
18. Make cinnamon rolls.
19. Bake a crumble.
20. Make jam.
21. Make a tea.
Related on EcoSalon