Farmers market. Window box. Vertical garden. However your flowers grow, there’s one more way to get in on seasonal blooms. Find out which flower ingredients for skin and hair are ripe for the picking this summer.
Flowers signal summer’s arrival. They are not only beautiful and aromatic, but hold powerful beauty benefits, too.
You know how eating seasonally is a healthy diet practice? Same goes for beauty. The flowers of the season are perfect for solving skin and hair issues. Flower ingredients come in the form of oils, extracts, and hydrosols.
Flowers have been used in Ayurveda for centuries for their medicinal and aromatherapeutic properties, as well as for beauty. They are also used in DIY beauty recipes, like this oatmeal geranium mask for dry and sensitive skin.
5 Flower Ingredients You Need for Summer Skin and Hair
1. Hibiscus: This is one of the most common flowers used in beauty. Rich in antioxidants, rejuvenating, anti-inflammatory, astringent, keeps skin and hair hydrated, high in alphahydroxy acids to gently exfoliate the skin, tones, firms, balances oil production, high in vitamin C, decreases hair loss, gentle enough for those with sensitive hair and scalp. Try St. Tropica Organic Coconut Oil Hair Mask for gorgeously glossy hair or Brown & Coconut Hibiscus Cleansing Grains for smooth, radiant skin.
2. Geranium: The sweet-smelling oil is an effective solution for acne-prone skin. Anti-inflammatory and pore clearing qualities leave skin clear and calm. It is also used to plump and firm the skin, and is gentle enough for use on all skin types. Skin Owl Beauty Drops balance and decongest the complexion, while diminishing signs of aging.
3. Iris: This familiar bloom may not be seen as often in beauty products as the other flower ingredients noted here, but it definitely deserves a place on the list. Iris extract holds potent anti-aging benefits that make skin look firm, supple, and youthful. Weleda Hydrating Facial Lotion and Kypris Heliotropic: Pot of Shade both contain this floral extract.
4. Rose: No list of floral beauty ingredients would be complete without the lovely rose. This beauty lends more to cosmetics than its intoxicating aroma. Rose is hydrating, soothing, and rejuvenating. Perfect for those dealing with dry skin or redness, this ingredient also has anti-aging properties. Rose is also great for hair, strengthening and moisturizing your strands. Try Josh Rosebrook Balancing Shampoo for hair and Mun Anarose Hydrating Rose Toner for skin.
5. Peony: These luxurious blooms are a summertime favorite for both their beauty and fragrance. Peonies also contain skin beautifying properties. High in antioxidants, peony extract helps to diminish signs of aging, calm inflammation, and increase glow. La Bella Figura Jardin de Fleurs Skin Revitalizer with white peony extract hydrates, firms, and revitalizes the complexion. It is a veritable bouquet of skincare goodness that also includes jasmine, rose, hibiscus, and honeysuckle.