This spring and summer expect to see the new nautical trend everywhere you look.
While nautical might have you thinking about pirates or preppy staples like L.L Bean or Land’s End, this new nautical is much more effortless and chic. It features clean silhouettes and elegant styling. Forget the practical boat shoes, this trend is about being fashion forward, bold, and chic.
This year’s trend has updated the nautical look to make it fashion forward and new. There are some key elements to this new nautical. Some are firmly rooted in the classic seafaring vein while others are much more of a nod to other current trends. There’s a little bit of the classic mixed in with a little bit of the now–that’s why it’s called the “new” nautical.
Key Elements of the New Nautical Trend
- Stripes are a must. But this new trend often features a twist on the stripes–they are much narrower or much wider and make a super bold statement.
- The trend is sportswear-inspired, and most of the fashions will have a sportswear feel to them.
- While the colors are often classic, navy and white with pops of bright red, softer and more aquatic blues have also been introduced. There is also a resort feel to the trend.
- In keeping with the modern feel, the detailing is more modern. You will likely see uneven hems, wraparound elements, and layering.
- One final element is the inclusion of a softer touch with the inclusion of softer and more comfortable fabrics; more feminine details, like eyelet fabrics, cutouts, and cold shoulders; bold patterns; and even bolder non-nautical colors like fuchsia and yellow.
6 New Nautical Trend Finds for You and Your Home
1. Stripe Dress – Free People
Stripes make it nautical but the body-con and cold shoulder make it new nautical.
2. Anchor Top – ModCloth
A fun nautical-inspired top but with a modern design.
3. Lace Top – Anthropologie
This top is on trend with a nautical feel, but it’s delicate in lace and features the new nautical lighter blue.
4. Nautical Rug – West Elm
It’s nautical, but updated with the addition of colorful geometric shapes.
5. Land and Sea Pillow – Dot & Bo
Throw pillows like this one inspired by the ocean, but with a modern geometric touch, are new nautical.
6. Fit and Flare Dress – Nordstrom Rack
The new nautical trend is all about mixing bold stripes and with bolder patterns.
Related on EcoSalon