Some folks think having a good time means spending bucketloads of money; other folks are less convinced. We know that it’s possible to have a romantic evening without breaking open your piggy bank. Whether you have only been dating for 3 months or have been shacked up for 3 years, we have got some cheap date ideas for those already frugal couples and those couples looking to bring a little more frugality into their lives.
Outside the Box Cheap Date Ideas
- Restaurant School Dinner – If you are lucky enough to live near a University with a restaurant management program, or even a culinary school, look into whether they offer public dining facilities or not. Many do, as it’s often a critical component in their programs. You might be surprised at the quality of experience many of these programs can offer.
- Back to Nature – The dinner and a movie date concept is dead. Or at least it should be. Getting out into nature is the perfect way to spend time with your significant other. Whether you prefer a leisurely stroll along the water’s edge or a high-intensity hike, communing with nature is a great way to commune with each other. It’s also a mainstay among cheap date ideas.
- BYOB Venues – Depending on the liquor laws where you live, it may be possible (or necessary) for you to bring your own bottle of wine to dinner. This is a great way to save money on a nice meal. It’s not uncommon for the markup on a glass of wine to be 70 to 80 percent.
- Make a Meal Together – There’s nothing sexier than cooking together in the kitchen. Cooking at home is way cheaper than eating out, and the hands-on nature of cooking just might lead to some hands-on action in the kitchen.
- Enrich Together – Taking an art class, joining a book group, learning a language, taking up an instrument, or visiting a museum might all seem like solitary pursuits, but think again. There’s nothing sexier than someone who is smart, are we right? So, get smart and accomplished together!
- Volunteer Together – Dating doesn’t just have to be all about you as a couple. Couples who give back together might just be happier together. Studies show that volunteering increases happiness and can decrease depression. So, pick a cause like volunteering at the local animal shelter, nature preserve, or for Habitat for Humanity and make the most of your quality time together.
Related on EcoSalon
Image: Couple Holding Hands via Shutterstock