Baby, it’s cold outside! And if you’re going somewhere even nippier for the holidays, then we’ve got the eco-friendly travel products and winter packing tips you need for a greener, more efficient trip.
Spending the holidays out of town can be a fun and exciting time, but if you don’t travel often, packing is usually dreadful in some way or another. However, with the right travel products and some simple winter packing tips, it’s possible to enjoy the process. Not only will these necessities align with your eco-friendly values, but they’re also invaluable when it comes to schlepping around those bulky items.
Winter Packing Tips
Ideal for plane travel to wintry locales, these tips will help you slay your suitcases and carry-ons while flying high in the sky this holiday season. Efficient and savvy, these are suggestions you’ll want to use year after year.
- First thing’s first — if you’re traveling with gifts in your carry-on bag then you might want to leave your gifts unwrapped and bring the paper and embellishments along with you. According to the TSA, wrapped gifts are allowed, but if they ask to see what’s inside, then you have to comply, potentially destroying your gift’s awesome wrapping job.
- Opt for a pair of fleece or flannel lined jeans that will keep you super toasty during your trip and wear those on the plane. This will save space in your carry-on and you can wear them several times throughout your trip. If you need more warm bottoms, pack a couple pairs of insulated leggings for a week long stay, and one more pair of insulated jeans if you’ll be gone for more than a week. Thermals are a great choice, too, and can be layered under your regular jeans and long sleeve tops.
- When possible, also wear bulky outerwear pieces on the plane, and try to choose garments that serve more than one purpose, or are aesthetically versatile, like one heavy jacket or coat that will pair well with everything. Other ideas include only bringing one or two sweaters, while packing a few different oxford shirts to layer underneath. These are thin and take up less room in your suitcase, but will still provide a layer of warmth.
- Bringing knee-high or over-the-knee boots? Wear those on your plane ride, too. Avoid packing large and heavy footwear to meet weight limits and free up space in your suitcase or carry-on. Different colored tall socks or boot cuff are lightweight, easy to pack, and can add a cute touch of versatility to your outfits on the trip.
- Also, don’t forget the power of scarves, hats, and gloves. Knit accessories like these are easy to pack and don’t take up a lot of room in your bag. And always use the rolling method, rather than folding, for every kind of travel!
Eco-Friendly Travel Products
What’s better than packing tips that can make your trip easier? Eco-friendly products to put them in! These tools are better for the environment and will help get you from point A to point B without a hitch.
1. Travel Pillow
Long flights need comfy pillows, and this eco-friendly version from Kuhi Comfort is perfect for your upcoming trip. This innovative pillow made from organic cotton and stuffed with all natural fiberfill made from corn sugar claims to cradle your head better than any other kind on the market. The carrying case has a convenient strap that slides over your luggage handle.
2. Reusable Pouches
Instead of Ziplock bags, opt for something you can use again and again for your toiletries, makeup, and other odds and ends. These TSA compliant zippered pouches from Reuseit are FDA-grade, BPA-free, PVC-free, and lead-free PEVA film. It can also be tossed in the washing machine.
3. Duffel Bag
Duffel bags are actually great carry-on options, especially if you don’t feel like going the suitcase route, or are traveling light. Perfect for a short weekend trip (or as your personal bag if it can fit under the seat), this cotton, handcrafted bag from Reuseit is made by female artisans in India.
4. Rolling Luggage
There is eco-friendly luggage on the market, and it even comes in hard case style. The Eco Orbis is made from 100 percent recycled ABS plastic, comes in a variety of colors, is expandable, has 360-degree swivel wheels, and carries a five-year warranty.
We hope you feel a little more prepared to travel this holiday season with these awesome packing tips and eco-friendly supplies. Stop by the EcoSalon Facebook page and share your favorites!
Related on EcoSalon