How to Get Rid of Mold With Just One Ingredient–And Without Toxic Chemicals!

How to Get Rid of Mold With One Ingredient--And Without Toxic Chemicals!

 Learn how to get rid of mold in your home without relying on dangerous, toxic chemicals.

Mold is pretty gross, and far worse, it can even make you sick. Exposure to damp, moldy environments can cause a host of ailments, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. For those with a mold allergy, it can cause nasal stuffiness, coughing, wheezing, and skin irritation. Not to mention, that it can even cause serious, life threatening lung infections in those that are susceptible.

Mold most commonly forms in bathrooms, but it can also appear in other damp places like basements. But you don’t need toxic chemicals to get rid of it. In fact, using bleach or ammonia can come with its own set of symptoms. One study published in the journal Occupational and Environmental Medicine found that parents who regularly cleaned with bleach had kids that got sick more often. For example, kids were 20 percent more likely to get the flu, 35 percent more likely to get tonsillitis, and 18 percent more likely to get any kind of infection. The study found that bleach kills so many germs that it takes a toll on the immune system and can even do damage to a child’s lungs.

So, how to get rid of mold without the chemicals that may make us sicker?

Not to worry–you can kill mold totally naturally. In fact, you only need one ingredient to do it! Simply spray the moldy area with undiluted vinegar. Spray the vinegar and let sit for a few hours and then use a scrub brush or a sponge (along with a little elbow grease) to remove the mold. This All-Natural Scouring Powder from Wellness Mama is also effective. The powder includes borax and baking soda. Just sprinkle on a wet surface and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, then go in with a scouring pad. If you’ve got a really bad build up of mold (like a gross tub, sink, or toilet) come back again and spray it down with vinegar and then leave for a few more minutes and come back with a scrub brush.

If you’re not a fan of the vinegar smell, you can also add in some essential oil like lavender, lemon, or tea tree oil for a fresher, less pungent scent. Add 5-10 drops of essential oil to a spray bottle full of vinegar.

According to MNN, hydrogen peroxide is another safe option to get rid of mold. “You can also use hydrogen peroxide, which is commonly used as a disinfectant, to clean mold naturally. Just spray some on the moldy surface, let it sit for at least an hour, and then scrub the surface clean.”

Getting rid of mold just got a whole lot easier, right? And you don’t even need to go anywhere near toxic chemicals to get the job done. Plus, if you’re vigilant you can stave off mold growth before it takes hold by regularly spraying down problem areas with vinegar.

Related on EcoSalon

5 Homemade Cleaners: DIY Green Cleaning on the Cheap

8 Simple Steps to Spring Cleaning Your Diet and Your Life

More than 24,000 Chemicals Found in Bottled Water (But Surprisingly Not on the Ingredients List)

Bathroom image from Shuttershock