Black lipstick is beginning to pop up in stores and on faces, and I couldn’t be happier. I think it’s one of the more classy colors out there (really). And I know (I can feel your looks of skepticism from my Kansas office) that black seems like a risky color choice, but it isn’t. All you have to do to pull off this unconventional color is keep everything else on your face simple and your overall color-scheme bright.
What Not to do When You Wear Black Lipstick
1. I love thick eyeliner and the cat-eye look as much as the next beauty writer, but if you want your face to remain open and bright, skip the liner when you wear black lips. The awesome thing about rocking black lip color is that you can pretty much nix all other dramatic makeup.
2. If you don’t want people to think you’re trying to look like a mistress of the night, stay away from wearing all-black attire. Sure, you’ll look sleek, but prepare yourself for the inevitable side-eye glances to come flooding your way.
3. Don’t keep mentioning it. I don’t know about you, but whenever I feel weird about something I’m wearing, I tend to point it out, making my look more dramatic than I ever intended.
What to do When You Wear Black Lipstick
1. To make your lips pop, all you have to wear is minimal mascara, BB cream, and light blush. Style your hair however you want, but I tend to think that a messy ‘do or a sleek ponytail accentuate this lip-look.
2. Wear a splash of color somewhere on your person. Sure, you can wear black boots and a black skirt, but pair your mono bottom half with a red, golden, or deep green shirt.
3. I’ve worn black lipstick out a lot lately and I can tell you that the one thing you should never leave home without when strutting the street with this look is your confidence.
Black lips aren’t a common look, but it’s a really cool look. If you strut around with a smile on your face and your head held high, people will be more apt to take in your look and appreciate your fashion-forward statement.
Related on EcoSalon
5 Fall Makeup Colors We Can’t Wait to Wear
Cat Eye Makeup Done Easy: 2014’s Purrfect Fall Makeup Trend
High Definition: Fall’s Boldest Statements
Image of woman wearing black lipstick from Shutterstock