If you’re craving warmth without the bore of coffee, check out these warming morning drink recipes.
Researchers at Yale University and the University of Colorado have suggested that physical warmth and emotional warmth are actually linked, and in fact the temperature of your beverage can influence your trust and tenderness toward the people around you. Maybe that’s why we sip on warm beverages more often in the winter.
4 Warming Winter Drink Recipes
1. Spiced Warm Apple Cider
1. In a 3-quart saucepan, combine cider, sugar, cinnamon sticks, allspice berries, ginger, and cloves.
2. Heat to a simmer and allow to cook 20 minutes. Strain into a punch bowl and garnish with orange slices. Serve warm.
2. Aztec Hot Chocolate
4 cups organic whole milk
One 3.2-ounce disk Mexican chocolate, chopped
1/2 tsp chipotle chile powder
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Bring the milk to a simmer in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chocolate, guajillo chile, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean.
2. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes, whisking constantly to develop some froth and completely melt the chocolate.
3. Soothing Ginger Tea
4 tsp cardamom pods, crushed
4 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
5 cups water
1 piece (6 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into thick slices
1 Tbsp. raw honey
1. Toast cardamom and fennel in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
2. Add water and ginger. Reduce heat, and simmer until it reaches the desired strength, 10 to 15 minutes.
Recipe: Martha Stewart
4. Chocolate Cappuccino
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped organic dark chocolate
8 cups very strong coffee or espresso
Chocolate curls for garnish
1. Beat whipping cream and powdered sugar with an electric mixer on low speed until soft peaks form.
2. Spoon 1 tablespoon of chopped chocolate into a coffee cup and add hot espresso. Top with whipping cream and chocolate curls.
Related on EcoSalon