Easy tips to simplify spring cleaning.
As of March 2oth, the season has officially changed – spring has sprung. I love the promise of sunshine and knowing summer is just around the corner, but I hate spring cleaning. Hate it. Here’s a guide to minimize the drudgery with efficient and effective spring cleaning tips.
1. Fresh air is Mother Nature’s reward for surviving winter. Turn off your heat and open your windows and doors. Let the crisp breath of spring rejuvenate your space.
2. Clean screens and swap filters. Window screens and screen doors can be cleaned with water and a soft-bristle brush. Gently scrub, then rinse screens (do this in a garden or landscaped area so the water can hydrate thirsty spring bulbs). Replace and/or clean filters throughout your home (vacuum, furnace, vent, etc.). Purchase washable filters when possible.
3. Embrace the light. Wash windows (inside and out) and light fixtures. Dust light bulbs to amplify light sources.
4. Air out rugs and carpets. Simply let your rugs soak in the delight of the outdoors for a handful of hours to naturally sanitize them with the heat of the sun (place rugs in a shaded area to prevent sun damage). Clean your floors before bringing the rugs back inside.
5. Respect the power of water. Plain, simple water can be used to clean most surfaces in the home. Only kitchens and bathrooms demand stronger agents.
6. Go through your cupboards, refrigerator, and freezer. Compost (or responsibly dispose of) expired food. Wipe surfaces with a gentle solution (two tablespoons of baking soda for one quart of warm water).
7. Deep clean. Go through everything drawer by drawer and closet by closet this month. If you don’t love it, need it, use it, wear it, or miss it – get rid of it. Donate household items and clothing to local charities and thrift stores.
Now relax with some fresh cut blooms and bask in the anticipation of summer.
Image: Pia Ulin