Inspired by strawberry shortcake, this summertime treat, yeasted doughnuts are split open and filled with sweetened fresh strawberries and freshly whipped cream. Give this homemade strawberry and cream doughnuts recipe a try.
Makes 16 doughnuts
Strawberry and Cream Doughnuts Recipe
Dough for Yeast-Raised Doughnuts made through the first rise (see below)
1 pint Driscoll’s Organic strawberries (or fresh from your favorite farmer’s market), hulled and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus 1 teaspoon
1 cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Powdered sugar for dusting
1. Gently punch the dough down. Lightly flour a work surface and a baking sheet. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a ½-inch-thick round. Using a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter dipped in flour, cut out rounds of dough, dipping the cutter in flour before each cut to prevent sticking.
2. Transfer the doughnuts to a lightly floured baking sheet, cover with a dry clean kitchen towel, and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a cast-iron Dutch oven or skillet over medium-high heat to 375°F on a candy or deep-fat thermometer.
Place a grid-patterned wire rack on a baking sheet or line the pan with two layers of paper towels.
4. Using a slotted spoon or a skimmer, drop the doughnuts into the hot oil in batches, being careful not to crowd the pan. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes, then flip and fry for another 1 to 2 minutes, or until the doughnuts are puffed, golden brown, and cooked through. Break open a “test doughnut” from the first batch to make sure the doughnuts are cooking correctly; adjust the heat level of the oil as needed.
5. Using a slotted spoon or a skimmer, transfer the doughnuts to the wire rack or paper towels to drain. Let cool.
6. In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries with the 2 tablespoons sugar and let stand for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. until the sugar is dissolved.
7. In a deep medium bowl, using a whisk or a hand-held electric mixer, beat the cream until thickened. Add the 1 teaspoon sugar and the vanilla extract and continue beating until soft peaks form. Spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch star tip.
8. Slice each doughnut horizontally, cutting about three-quarters of the way through. Gently pry open the doughnut and tuck in a layer of strawberries. Pipe in a thick ribbon of whipped cream. Repeat with the remaining doughnuts.
Dust the doughnuts with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
Yeast-Raised Dough Ingredients
¾ cup warm milk (110° to 115°F)
1 package (2 ¼ teaspoons)
active dry yeast
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 to 3 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Vegetable oil for deep-frying
1. Pour the warm milk into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Sprinkle the yeast over the milk and let stand for 5 minutes, then stir to dissolve the yeast.
2. Add the eggs and vanilla to the yeast mixture and beat on low speed for 1 minute.
3. In a medium bowl, combine 3 cups of the flour, the sugar, and salt. Stir with a whisk to blend. Add to the yeast mixture gradually and mix on low speed for 4 minutes, or until the dough begins to clear the sides of the mixer and form a ropy ball of dough around the hook.
4. With the machine running, add the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, letting each piece be absorbed by the dough before adding the next.
Continue mixing for 3 to 4 more minutes, adding the remaining ½ cup flour a little at a time as needed to make a soft dough.
5. Lightly oil a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl and turn the dough to oil it. Cover with a damp clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
This recipes courtesy of World of Doughnuts (Egg & Dart Press, June 2013)