In the same way that you save more complicated recipes for weekend cooking, your more lengthy beauty rituals make more sense when you’re not so rushed. That said, why not devote some time each weekend to renewing your beauty from the inside out? Wanna trim off a decade of age? It’s time to get serious with this five-step weekend beauty routine.
1. Start with your hair.
Whether your hair is color treated, heat treated (from excessive drying or straightening) or over washed, a DIY hair mask can make it all better. This simple hair mask nourishes tired hair so that frizz is something of the past.
Super Simple Weekend Hair Mask
2 Tbsp. organic olive oil
1. Whisk together vigorously until well combined.
2. Over the sink, generously coat your hair from root to tip in the mixture.
3. If you have long hair, put it in a bun and cover with either an old towel or a discarded plastic bag. Clip either into place.
4. Let sit for 30 minutes and then wash and condition your hair as you normally would. This hair mask can be done up to two times per week. Additionally, experiment with washing your hair every other day instead of every day. This keeps your hair in better condition because you’re not stripping it of nutrients or over drying it.
2. Rejuvenate your skin.
A facial mask is a great way to bring vibrancy to dry, dull skin. Whether you want to look great for the holiday party circuit or you want to combat winter dry air, this facial mask is sure to do the trick.
Avocado Yogurt Mask
1 Tbsp. avocado
1 Tbsp. plain organic yogurt
1 Tbsp. raw honey
1. Combine the ingredients well until it becomes a wet paste.
2. Apply the mask to your face, being careful around the eyes.
3. Leave on for 15 minutes and then use a warm washcloth to remove. Follow with a moisturizer all over the face.
4. Do at the same time as you’re doing your hair mask to get the most bang for your buck! You’ll save time and enjoy deeply moisturized hair and skin!
3. Treat under eye bags.
Age-defying eyes aren’t plagued with under eye bags, dark circles, puffiness, or wrinkles. That’s why it’s important to take the time to treat under your eyes with tea bags. Using green tea bags underneath your eyes is particularly helpful because the polyphenols have been shown to have anti-aging qualities. Brew two tea bags and then place in the refrigerator until cool to the touch. Place one on each eye for ten minutes. Repeat any time your eyes need a boost.
4. Give yourself an awesome manicure and pedicure.
Keep your hands and feet in tip-top condition with a salon-style manicure and pedicure. Your hands and feet will look fabulous at your next holiday party.
What you’ll need:
-nail polish remover
-a cuticle stick
-shiny top coat nail polish
Directions for manicure:
1. Remove any nail polish completely.
2. Take some time to cut and shape your nails to your desired length. Use a buffer to even out the tops of the nails and remove any stains.
3. Soak your hands in a combination of one tablespoon olive oil and one tablespoon coconut oil along with water for ten minutes.
4. Use a cuticle stick to push back the cuticles.
5. Massage the hands and arms with a good moisturizer.
6. Paint with two coats of your favorite nail polish. Make each layer on the thinner side and let each dry before painting the next coat.
7. Top with a shiny top coat.
8. Let the hands dry for at least 20 minutes before using your hands for anything. Give your feet the same treatment.
What you’ll need:
-nail polish remover
-toe nail clippers
-toe nail polish
Directions for pedicure:
1. Start by cleaning up your feet. Take any excess nail polish off your toes and clip your toenails to the desired length.
2. Soak your feet in a combination of two tablespoons coconut oil and one gallon warm water for ten minutes.
3. Dry your feet off. Use a pumice stone to remove callouses and dead skin from the feet.
4. Massage moisturizer into the feet and legs. Give yourself a nice foot massage, using the thumbs around the arch of the foot and then moving each toe joint in a circular motion.
5. Paint toenails with two coats of your favorite nail polish. Take the time to let each coat dry before painting the next coat.
6. Let dry for at least 20 minutes before putting shoes back on.
5. Relax deeply.
One of the surest ways to look your best is to get caught up on sleep. Do your best to avoid over extending yourself with social obligations during this busy season. Give yourself a day each weekend to chill out and prepare for the week ahead. Take these steps toward deep relaxation.
1. Take a hot bath. Add a cup of Epsom salts and a few drops of lavender essential oil to your bath and soak until you’re thoroughly relaxed.
2. Hot baths, though super relaxing, can drain your skin of much-needed moisture, especially in the winter. So replenish your skin’s moisture with coconut oil. Using long strokes on the arms and legs and circular strokes on the joints and the stomach, massage coconut oil into the skin.
3. After bath time, you’re likely relaxed enough to enjoy a nap time. Help yourself off to dreamland by listening to a relaxation meditation. You’ll wake up looking and feeling your best.
Do you have a weekend beauty routine? What does it involve? What about other anti-aging tricks? We want to know! Drop us a line via Twitter @EcoSalon.
Related on EcoSalon
How to Have Bright, Beautiful, and Healthy Lips This Winter
Winter Skin Needs the Powerful Benefits of Exfoliation (Plus 2 DIY Recipes!)
Tame Your Mane This Winter: How to Straighten Your Hair Without Damaging It