These indulgent zucchini patties highlight the sweetness of this popular late summer vegetable.
If the word “fried” scares you don’t run screaming after step 3. Yes, you will need to fry these zucchini patties once they are assembled but it’s just a flash fry and most of the oil will drain off on paper towels. These patties are the perfect starter to your light late summer meal. If you’re serving a salad for dinner, start with fritters to delight your guests as they assemble individual lettuce wraps.
Use a box grater to get nice thick strands of zucchini and don’t be afraid to mix up the herb selection. I’ve used parsley and green onions in this particular version but cilantro, dill or even basil would be delicious. I serve them with a very simple yogurt sauce and wrap the patties in lettuce leaves, but they are also delicious on their own.
Zucchini Patties with Lemon-Yogurt Sauce
Makes about 12 fritters
2 medium-sized zucchinis
¼ cup feta cheese
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ cup chopped Italian parsley
3 scallion (green onion) stalks, finely chopped
¾ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup Greek yogurt
12 baby lettuce leaves
1. On the large holes of a box grater, shred the zucchini into about 2 cups of strands. Add to a large bowl with the feta cheese, egg, scallions, flour, parsley and salt.
2. Zest the lemon and add about ½ teaspoon of the zest to the zucchini mixture. Then slice the lemon in half and squeeze half of the juice into the mixture and squeeze the other half into a small bowl and combine with the Greek yogurt. Set the yogurt mixture aside.
3. In a medium-sized skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and place paper towels three layers thick on a plate within arm’s reach of the skillet.
4. Form the slider-sized patties with your hands, squeezing excess liquid out before gently placing in the hot oil. The patties should fit snugly in your palm.
5. Fry the patties, 3-4 at a time, cooking for two minutes on one side before flipping and cooking for an additional two minutes. Remove the patties from the oil carefully and drain on the paper-towels.
6. Serve the patties with a dollop of the lemon-yogurt sauce wrapped in a lettuce leaf.
Related on Eco Salon
Photo credit: Ally Jane Grossan