Outdoor living is definitely something to enjoy, but it’s actually good for your health too. Backyard designs can make it easier and more enticing to spend time outside.
When spring and summer come around, it’s time to turn your attention to the great outdoors. After the long, cold winter most of us are dying to get outside to soak up the rays, lounge in a hammock, congregate around the firepit and more. But it’s more than just fun.
According to the Harvard Health Letter, there are very real benefits to both our physical and mental health from spending time outside. From better concentration to decreased risk of everything from “osteoporosis to cancer to depression to heart attacks and stroke,” the benefits of outdoor living and experiencing nature are all around a boon to our health.
It can be difficult though for many of us to make the time to get outside–what with work during the week and errands and other responsibilities on the weekend–that’s why it helps to create an inviting and magical backyard that beckons you whenever you have the free time. Making a desirable enchanting outdoor living space will certainly entice you to get out and enjoy it more–you can take your laptop outside and work just as easily as sitting inside and working. Not to mention having a great outdoor living space will make yours the most popular destination amongst your friends.
Here are 7 great backyard designs for creating a magical outdoor living oasis:
- Let There be Lights – Adding mason jar lanterns can instantly turn your backyard into an inviting space for evening entertaining. Or use an old chandelier filled with solar lights.
- Summer Cabana – If you have full sun all day long, consider adding an easy backyard cabana like the one in this tutorial. We all need a little Vitamin D, but too much sun can be a bad thing.
- Wrap-a-round Tree Bench – And for those who are handy with woodworking, how about adding a bench around a tree(s)? It can offer seating for the lazy days of summer and can make your backyard a great place for get-togethers.
- DIY Fire Pit – A fire pit is a must-have for backyard summertime entertaining. Just add marshmallows!
- Must-Have Hammock – No magical backyard could be complete without a hammock for lazy afternoons. Even if you don’t have a tree, build your own from one of these tutorials.
- Outdoor Bar – An outdoor bar is definitely a plus to creating a fun and relaxing space. Try this DIY salvaged wood and pipe bar station or this one made from pallets.
- Secret Garden – Plant a ring of sunflowers now for a mid-summer flower hideaway.
Related on EcoSalon
Image: Paul Sayer