Hungry? Here are 21 plum recipes to put that farmers market bounty to good use.
Late summer offers the chance for plums, and whether you foraged them off of the neighbor’s tree or picked up a pound at a farmers market, there’s no end to what you can do with them. Although they’re often a forgotten fruit, they are a versatile one, and work for savory dishes just as they do for sweet ones.
A good source of vitamins A, K, and C, plums are also packed with antioxidants. There are more than 2,000 plum varieties, and probably just as many plum recipes, from chutney to pizza. Here are 21 ideas to get you started.
1. A spicy plum chutney is good for serving with hard cheeses or a plate of charcuteries.
2. Trying to kick the morning coffee habit? Start with a plum and almond smoothie instead.
3. Improve french toast, ice cream or just a simple bowl of oatmeal with homemade Rosewater Plum Compote.
4. The ideal summer dessert? A simple plum tart with mascarpone cream.
5. Have an extra bottle of pinot noir on hand? Make a plum and pinot noir sorbet.
6. Invite some friends over and make a few plum and gorgonzola pizzas.
7. Prunes are just another word for dried plums, and you can easily make your own.
8. Go to your kitchen garden, pick some fresh basil, and make a plum-basil gin fizz.
9. A flaky pate brisee makes for an excellent plum galette.
10. Served with a little goat cheese, plum and ginger preserves make for a delicious appetizer.
11. How about a plum tart made with hazelnuts?
12. Instead of burgers, serve shrimp and plum kebabs at your next barbecue.
13. Mixed with beets, plums make for a gorgeous deep red salad.
14. If you need a good cracker for the the gluten-free crowd, try plum, oat and rosemary crisps.
15. Grill some kale, add some plums and ricotta, and you have yourself an indulgent salad.
16. Use chickpea flour to make a vegan and gluten free plum socca tart.
18. Plum, feta and mint go well together in this grilled panini.
19. With a bowl of yogurt, these roasted plums with olive oil and thyme are an easy late summer breakfast.
20. When you go a little crazy at farmers market and end up with way more plums than you know what to do with, put them to use in this plum and star anise jam.
21. Expand from basic pesto and make one with dried plums.
Related on EcoSalon
21 Fantastic Summer Blueberry Recipes Perfect for Right Now
10 Unusual Ways to Use Peppermint
Images: See-ming Lee, Alan Levine, Market Manager