There are oodles of fall shoe trends coming your way – here’s a highlight reel of the big four.
Can you believe it’s fall already? While I’m sure you’re secretly pouting about having to put away your most adored sandals for another season, it’s time to turn that frown upside down and focus your attention on the fall shoe trends you’re going to be sporting in T-minus… well, however long it takes you to read this article.
Because the fugly shoe trend left me practically catatonic, I thought it best to emotionally prepare for the upcoming shoe trends we’re going to be seeing. To do so, I enlisted the help of Meghan Cleary, America’s shoe expert and author of “Shoe Are You?” to boldly go where our feet have never gone before.
Here are the top 4 fall shoe trends you’re going to fall in love with – and sample kicks to get your collection started (don’t mention it):
1. Black pump stilettos
“The fall is going to be a cornucopia of shoe trends,” says Cleary, and one style of kicks that’s going to be making a serious comeback is the basic black pump (peep or closed toe). (Pssst… If you want to make the most of your high heel experience, Cleary’s free handbook “Shoe Are You? How to Be Unstoppable in Your Stilettos” is a must-read!).
Why not try:
- The Crystal Pumps by olsenHaus feature a synthetic upper made fully from recycled TV screen microfibers for a suede-like look and feel.
- The olsenHaus Muse Pump is also made of recycled TV screen microfibers and features a mary jane-inspired strap with contrasting spike heel. The platform is made from recycled tire and natural cork.
- There are plenty of like-new black pumps to choose from on ThredUp, like these by Via Spiga, Dv by Dolce Vita and Shoe Mint.
“We’re going to be seeing the widest variety of sneakers and color ways we’ve ever seen in the market for both men and women,” says Cleary. Sneaker fever is in full force, and I couldn’t be happier. They’re perfect for the girl on the go, and the balance between contemporary and athletic makes me feel slightly less resentful toward my experiences in elementary school gym class.
Why not try:
- The ECCO Chase sneaker is a sporty lace-up made of rich leather with a cushioned midsole for all-day comfort. It also has a removable, antibacterial leather insole to keep your feet fresh and cool.
- The Ahnu Noe sneaker can be described in two words: Simple chic. They’re made of water-resistant suede and sport a traditional lace-up design.
- The People’s Movement’s Marcos High Top Sneaker are Fresh Prince in the best way possible: They’re part sneaker, part moc, part boot – and part awesome. They’ve been created with upcycled construction, so they’re as eco-friendly as they are fashionable.
3. Chunky heels
Warning: The fugly shoe trend isn’t going away any time soon. Stock up on tissues and Pepto accordingly. “There’s going to be more of the same on the fugly shoe front with Birks and athletic slides,” says Cleary. “We’re also going to see a lot more in the flatworm category with big chunky, chunky heels added to everything from loafers to sneakers.” Oh. Em. Gee.
Why not try:
- A new twist on an old favorite, the J-41 Olympia is an oxford-inspired shoe with a chunky heel for an added feminine touch.
- If you’re feeling a little Scary Spice, then you’ll love Cri de Coeur’s Allison Ankle Boots. Exotic, funky and sure to turn heads, they feature an animal print ultrasuede and eco faux leather upper, paired with a reclaimed wood sole.
- The Paradise Mary Janes by Kailia offer a modern feel to the timeless style. The 100 percent cruelty-free upper is made of velvet with a metallic confetti print and tonal faux leather. On top of the four-inch chunky heel, there’s a hidden one-inch platform that provides extra height for all that strutting you’re going to be doing.
- The Yema Peep Toe Shootie by Fly London has lace details on the back for a perfect fit. Super versatile and built for all-day comfort and support, you won’t know what you did without them.
4. Masculine boots
Rebel chic is back! Oodles of masculine boots are flooding the market and I personally couldn’t be happier. Everything from scrappy-looking biker boots to riding boots to lumberjack boots. I’m tempted to twirl in a meadow and sing “The Hills Are Alive.”
Why not try:
- The Harper Chukka Boot by Nisolo is a classic borrowed from the boys – and is one of Nisolo’s most popular styles. You can effortlessly pair them with jeans and a tee, or with your fave dress and leather jacket to edge up your look.
- ECCO’s Sullivan Tall Riding Boot will have you walking in comfort all day long. Best of all, they have a secret interior wedge to add height and extra cushioning.
- Timberland’s Earthkeepers Amston Wedge Boot have this adorable lumberjack feel with a fleece-lined fold-over cuff that adds to their earthy appeal.
- If you’re feeling particularly badass, throw on the Rammish Boots by Blowfish for a trendy fall look. You’ll love the folded button accents along the side!
Which fall shoe trends are you most excited about?
Related on EcoSalon
Image: Maegan Tintari