Whether you take a minimalist approach to skincare or love to multi-step, facial essences are products you’ll want to get your hands on. First, let’s zero in on what facial essences really are and what they do for skin.
The Korean beauty movement ushered in the multi-step skincare routine in a huge way. Multi-masking, skincare cocktailing, and layering are commonplace skincare practices these days. The current favorite of the Kb skincare world, facial essences, are making a particularly big splash.
What are Facial Essences?
Not a toner. Not a serum. Not a facial oil. What are these mysterious liquid beauty treatments?
At first glance, facial essences look similar to toner. Yes, they are watery, but they contain different ingredients and have different effects on skin. Facial essences are formulated with powerful actives and moisturizing ingredients. Unlike your average toner or micellar water, which are used to clean and clarify the skin, essences are highly concentrated floral water, botanical, and natural oil blends. Think of them as a facial serum in liquid form.
How to Use Facial Essences
Due to the watery nature of facial essences, you may be tempted to swipe the face with an essence-soaked cotton pad post-cleanse. They do go on after you clean your face and before adding your treatments and moisturizer, but since these formulas are meant to treat the skin, rather than cleanse, you want to make sure every drop soaks in.
There are two ways to get the most from your facial essence. Either add a pump or two of essence to the palm of your hand and pat into skin, or mist onto the face and pat it in. It’s the patting in part that is important. This way your complexion reaps the benefits of those healthy ingredients and no precious drops are wasted.
Another way to use facial essences is to combine them with another product, like a serum or facial oil. This is a great way to decrease the oiliness of a facial oil, and boost the nourishing and reparative properties of a serum.
5 Reasons to Use Facial Essences
1. Perk Up Skin: Glowing skin is never a bad thing. Dryness is one of the main glow-sappers and facial essence is moisture rescue in a bottle. Try Aurelia Probiotic Skincare Calming Botanical Essence to boost radiance and banish dullness due to jet lag, lack of sleep, and other skin stressors. Made with pure glacier water to balance the skin and rose quartz for balancing the spirit.
2. Soften and Moisturize: There are many causes for dehydrated skin. Adding in a floral essence with hyaluronic acid, like Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Essence, will help to keep skin moisturized. Stock before winter arrives.
3. Prep the Skin: Facial essences help other skin treatments, like serums and moisturizers, more easily soak into skin. They also act as a hydrating facial primer, so foundation looks smooth and even. In Fiore Vitale Toning Floral Essence is an aloe-based option, suitable for all skin types.
4. Plump & Smooth: A facial essence that firms the skin and softens lines? That’s In Fiore Régénerant. Made with rose water, natural humectants, and plant actives, it plumps the complexion while kicking dryness to the curb.
5. Balance Oil: Facial essences are a dry-skinned girl’s dream. That doesn’t mean they can’t be used by those with oily skin, too. Adding a pump or spritz of facial essence to your favorite serum or moisturizer, instead of layering underneath, works best on oilier skin types. Give Odacite Mint + Green Tea Treatment Mist a try, formulated to soothe skin and reduce breakouts.
*Disclaimer: Help support EcoSalon! Our site is dedicated to helping people live a conscious lifestyle. We’ve provided some affiliate links above in case you wish to purchase any of these products.
Related on EcoSalon
Why It’s Important to Apply Natural Skincare in the Right Order (and How to Do It)
The Latest Korean Beauty Trend Will Make You Roll Over (You’re Gonna Lap it Up!)
Mineral Water Spray: How You Should (and Shouldn’t) Use It